View Single Post
Old 04-13-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
You've been posting long enough to have seen posts that state, "Acceptance is key," or "I had to accept I had a problem before I could stay sober."

You accept you drink too much, but fail to accept the depth of your problem. Saying it's a just problem with discipline, or just a problem about not having enough will power, will keep you from attempting beneficial recovery methods and have you chasing your sober tail for a long time.
I agree with Carl here. In my experience, I couldn't get clean until I actually believed I had a problem. My friends told me to slow down. I got hints, nudges, and pushes to stop drinking. My best friend told me she thought I was an alcoholic. I blacked out constantly. I drank weekend mornings. I was taken to the hospital with withdrawal seizures....twice. Yet when a counselor told me that he thought I needed treatment, I thought he was crazy!

I went to work 5 days a week too, Thomas. A job doesn't make you functional. Just because you're showing up doesn't mean you're lighting the world on fire with your ideas there. Take a hard look at your situation and figure out what you need to do to get back on track. I'm guessing a good start would be to find some new Friday and Saturday night habits. What changes can you make in your weekend routine?