View Single Post
Old 05-22-2005, 12:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
walkingtheline

escape artist-

Forgive me, I don't remember what state you're in. A recent law allows us to get a free credit report one time per year. GET IT if your state is in the list.

Free annual credit report here

Look around in your "circle". At church, at al-anon, among your friends, a co-worker...someone you trust will be able to recommend a GREAT broker.
Take your credit report and talk to him/her. Explain what's up..ask the question: If I get the house in a divorce, do you see any way to lower my payment.

In some areas...right now the hot areas include parts of CA and Fl among others homes are appreciating at a incredible rate. This is a story I heard recently from a friend who is a tax consultant.

Her client owned a home that had appreciated - a lot. She (client) had a home she had purchased for $250,000 but was now valued at 860,000. She owed around 200,000 on the original loan (fixed, 6.5%) She then refinanced her home for 80% of it's current value and paid off all her other debts including all her credit cards and car. Her new home loan was an interest only, rate set for 5 years. She was left with around $400,000. She took that money and bought a condo as an investment property. It was a "starter", the purchase price was $325,000. It was a "distress" sale, needed repairs/improvements and she paid cash. She put $20,000 into repairs and remodeling and then rented that property for $1450 per month, and had a "cushion" of about $50,000 left. She put 20K in savings for emergencies and started some stock investments with the rest.

Interest only mortgages are only a good deal if you anticipate a higher income in 5 years or expect to move AND, in the above example, the person resists the idea of going back into debt!

Every broker can tell you similar stories...different programs, different means...but a really good broker can find ways, even if you don't live in one of these incredibly appreciating areas. If Mr. Christian is around I know he too works in the industry and there are probably others as well.

My point was and still is that there may be ways to keep your house AND improve your bottom line. Think of it like we do alcoholism...learn all you can!

Hope this gives you some food for thought.