View Single Post
Old 04-12-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rush2112

To be honest, I don't have much of a plan.

When I quit the last time, I didn't find myself any more productive. I missed the evening time when I went to that warm place and just felt nice. I'm one of those drinkers who doesn't lose productivity when drinking. I felt pretty much the same in the mornings because I didn't get "drunk" very often, and didn't have much hangover trouble. I don't get mean when I drink, or depressed.

The only problem was/is the quantity. It seems so obvious just to say, I have a two-drink limit from now on. But what I've found is that once I have the first one, the limit no longer makes any sense whatsoever (until I feel guilty about it the next day). I know it's not good for me physically. Blood pressure is up (borderline, not horrible), some liver enzyme is elevated on my last physical...

I've read about moderation programs and, like most of the folks on this forum, I have my doubts about whether I'd be able to do that. Either way, I think I first need to show myself that I can at least quit for a good while (month?) and find new habits to fill my evening time. It's tough. I used to brew beer. It wasn't about getting sloshed. I loved the tastes, the smells, everything about it. And of course drinking it, and talking about beers with my friends and sampling and reading magazines about it. It wasn't intentional that it got to be so much. I love Scotch too. I love the traditions and the earthiness of it.

Of course too much is too much, and I don't know many elderly folks who drink as much as I do.