View Single Post
Old 04-10-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
2muchpain

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
While I understand the sentiment... I think folks should try and remember that people who are drinking.... Alcoholics who are drinking - do not tend to make rational decisions.

I care about others and was ashamed of my actions drinking and driving... But it still didn't stop me drinking and driving. Because I was DRINKING. When drinking, my own actual values didn't apply. I no longer was the person I am....

That's not an excuse, but it is true.

Berating someone and suggesting they're uncaring or thoughtless when they've gotten a DUI doesn't seem helpful.

It's doubtful that they began - sober - by thinking 'tonight I'm going to get drunk, drive and endanger the world'
Well said. I like many others have done things while drinking that we would never do if we were sober. I am certainly in no position to pass judgement on anyone else. I'm sure the OP knows like we all do that drinking and driving is a horrible and dangerous thing to do. I would think the best thing people on SR can do is offer support and suggestions on what the OP can do to keep this from happening again. Shame and guilt never kept anyone sober.