View Single Post
Old 04-08-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Bmac
Court jester

I have very bad anxiety and the mother of all cases of OCD. Had OCD since I was 13, never really diagnosed until my late 20's. Did my Masters in psychotherapy probably as a subconscious drive to figure myself out. Who knows.

I'll skip all the unnecessary war stories and details and get right to the point. My 20+ years with these 2 conditions has led me to believe that neither therapy nor meds in and of themselves will provide the REAL help. It is a combination of both. Remember Scott, the brain is an organ, just like any other organ in our bodies. Some of us, whether from birth or from years of "bad programming" have an imbalance that does require medication to bring us back to "normal", at least chemically. It is much the same for those predisposed to high cholesterol that a regimine of statins are necessary.

I am currently taking Effexor, and have an "as needed" perscription for xanax for the anxiety and OCD. I also see a therapist who specializes in panic attacks and OCD every other week. It helps to keep me balanced.

More than happy to share in greater detail if you need specific info. PM me anytime.