View Single Post
Old 04-08-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
MrLofg0029

Originally Posted by Grendhar View Post
If I quit without a detox could I be making a bad choice?

I work and I just want to be done with this ... but now I am scared.
Yes, you could be making a bad choice.

I might be alone in suggesting this, but you might consider holding onto a quantity of alcohol, preferably entrusting it to someone familiar with the situation, should you experience severe withdrawal.

I quit without a detox a number of times. It was not enjoyable and I never stayed sober, long term.

The last time, I went to a detox on a Friday (I called in sick, for the last time) and was discharged on Sunday. I have stayed quit since.

Originally Posted by Grendhar View Post
i have a job that i've already messed around with too much due to my drinking .. luckily im still there .. can't exactly leave for a week to go to a detox.

But also don't want to die lol....
I was in the exact same scenario! With hindsight, I realize that I was much closer to losing my job than I'd realized. Had I not gone for medical detox, I've no reason to assume I'd be sober today and that my subpar performance wouldn't have persisted, culminating in my work termination.

My going to detox probably saved my job, and many other things I value greatly. Alcoholism is a medical condition, and you cannot be fired for addressing a medical condition. Despite that fact, alcoholic fear will deceive you otherwise. You can speak confidentially to your HR or employee assistance representative, and they should confirm this and will go to bat for you in the future. I did.