View Single Post
Old 04-07-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
pigeonhead

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Wow -

Glad you're here - certainly don't mean this to sound harsh, but are you both truly committed or do you think just really supportive of each other relapses?!?!? We each need to take ownership of our own sobriety.....

That's not harsh at all, it's a good question. I almost wish that he were more solid about his own commitment because that would put the pressure on me to follow. He was upset and disappointed with me a couple of weeks ago when I allowed myself a couple of beers when a friend was in town, and I was motivated to abstain for the next week. During that week, he allowed himself a couple of small bottles of whiskey (the kind they have on airplanes) to "treat" a panic attack, for which he already has prescription medication. He declared us "even." Even writing this, I can see how messed up it is! Perhaps I'm answering my own question. We're living together temporarily.

I suppose the simple answer is for me to set the example. Perhaps make it a real challenge..."Who's committed now?" sort of stuff.

Yeah, the brother's whiskey thing is problematic.