View Single Post
Old 04-06-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ChiefBromden

I have it for 5 years now. Many people get it without ever finding a reason (idiopathic) but for me the reason was clear: alcohol abuse. When I quit drinking in June 2012 I had it pretty bad: burning feet, stabbing pains, walking on rocks... not something you'd wish on your worst enemy.

After I got sober it ... became even worse. It really tested my resolve as the first 9 months were hell. I could not walk at all. It felt like someone was trying to pull out my big toes with pliers. Pain killers did nothing. You see, alcohol both causes it and numbs the pain. A wheelchair seemed the unavoidable next step. Still, I didn't give up, studied all I could on vitamins and diet, and things did improve. Since then I was even able to remodel most of our house and go to a few rock concerts.

I'd say I'm 80% better. Some days I feel no discomfort, some days I feel cramps and numbness. No more burning pain or stabbing.I know this is the best it will get, and I'm absolutely cool with that. My drinking, my choices, my mistake. A mistake I won't make again, as I never want to go back to that combination of emotional and physical pain ever again.