Thread: Close call
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Just to be clear, I'm not normally critical of anyone new who comes in and isn't familiar with Steps/Traditions, format of meeting, etc. I think what got me about this gal was that she made it a point to tell me before the meeting, in sort of an uppity way, about her seven years and why she was there, along with her cross-talk through the whole meeting.

n our intro, we always invite anyone wanting to join the group to see one of us after the meeting. Her hand shot up, and I inwardly moaned. I repeated, "talk to one of us after the meeting." Thankfully, she left right after the meeting. According to her, she's been sober for seven years, and is basically using the group for her own purposes.

We used to have a pretty reliable core group with a lot of sobriety among the members. Right now, there are four of us with over a year, one of whom is older with a lot of health problems (which means she misses a lot of meetings), so a lot falls on the rest of us. We get a lot of great people coming, but the ones needed to keep the meeting running are in short supply.

It's been this way for a while now, but we'll see how it goes. I'm not ready to bail yet.