Thread: last chance
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Hey, dude,

Just read your thread. Just wanted to throw out something else to think about. My first husband got sober before we got married, when he was only 21. He just celebrated 35 years of continuous sobriety.

We got divorced (for other reasons) when our kids were young. His sobriety made it possible for him to be the custodial parent. His sobriety made it possible for him to be a very involved dad, and a great husband to his second wife (he was a great husband to me when we were married). His sobriety made it possible for him to cooperate with me as we raised our kids, and to keep me involved in their lives. Our kids are out on their own now, but he is still very close to them--that's due to his sobriety. And last but not least, when I found that my own drinking had spiraled out of control and that I had to get sober in AA, he was a huge support to me in my own sobriety.

So keep your eye on the ball. Whether your marriage survives or not, you can still be an awesome dad IF you do what you need to do to make a full recovery. You can have many happy years to look forward to and a chance to make lasting memories with your child. Put your sobriety first--above your marriage, your job, or anything else, and good things will come to pass--and that's a PROMISE.