View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
suncatcher

For me I got into a relationship with an alcoholic after my divorce. My ex husband was not an alcoholic and I was the one that did something horrible and left my marriage after 22 years. I was very down on myself. My children were very hurt and angry with me. I was unhappy for a long time and went off the deep end. I knew my abf drank a lot and he even warned me I shouldn't be with him because he was an alcoholic. I felt accepted by him and his family and felt like I could just be myself. I still have regrets about how I left my marriage. It was over 7 years ago but my oldest daughter is still very standoffish with me. I don't know how to repair the damage I caused. My family means everything to me. I was and probably still am very codependent when I got involved with an alcoholic. I learned ways to cope by coming here and have learned slowly to feel better about myself. Hope I answered your question. I did know he was an alcoholic but I didn't know how hard it was going to be or how it would make me feel like nothing sometimes. I learned on SR that we have to first look into ourselves and find out what is going on. Setting boundaries and not taking their insults personally was key. I still struggle at times but I am getting there. Good post