View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Fly N Buy
Trudgin

Originally Posted by scooterdog View Post
This is interesting (Note: I'm 58 years old and been a functioning alcoholic for +30 years but only three weeks into the program) and the folks at the meeting I'm going to are mostly +10 years sober. (I absolutely am not trying to be negative just honest) The vibe I'm getting from the people is you need to go to multiple meetings a week (or maybe even multiple meetings a day) and that you never really "graduate" from going to meetings.

I understand everyone is different and recovery may be very different for each person... just trying to get a feel for what will work for me.

I mean some people need to go into outpatient rehab Vs others can make it happen by going to a few meetings a week (or so it seems, again... I know nothing just searching right now).

Thanks again,
Scott
Scott - we are close to the same age. I stopped drinking last June. Longest period of sobriety by far since Nixon was in office!

I have no idea if I will go to meetings the rest of my life or even tomorrow. When I started meetings I simply went. I listened to "keep coming back". Others told be simply do not drink and don't do it alone.

I followed that advice. I got some phone numbers and talked to other alcoholics every day. I needed to make sure my brain was not left unattended for very long - it's the same brain that got me here.

My point is we will both discover what works for us as our journey continues. I don't have to be concerned about tomorrow - I simply live in the moment, just for today. I won't drink today and I won't do it alone. The future is a mirage and does not concern me in terms of "planning" my sobriety.

Keep coming back (All of us!)

Kind Regards