View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
heartcore

Just a quick note (getting ready for work) to tell you that I would be hurt and angered if a partner told me my sobriety wasn't "fun" for them! I don't have a problem with someone occasionally drinking around me (at an event, for example), but having alcohol around in the evenings doesn't work for me (I know, because I tried to be that woman whose fella stocked the fridge with beer while she stayed sober - I kept relapsing...).

I chose being single for my first year, because this was hard for me (it's a trade off - I'm lonely & miss the touch, but like being able to fully focus on sobriety).

But telling you he resents it - while likely true - isn't supportive or kind or loving (which was probably the point in the middle of an argument).

Hopefully you will stubbornly resist this "challenge." It is intended to hurt you & erode your self esteem, & will fully accomplish this sabotage if you actually did drink!

I would tell him, once this particular conflict is resolved, that true or not, those are words that cannot be spoken in a fair fight. Just like when you're mad at someone, you don't call them fat or ugly (even if it's true) unless you are an abusive arse. Criticizing or belittling your sobriety is abusive! This is a life & death issue. You are working to heal yourself. If you had cancer & were losing a breast would he make fun of that in an argument too??

If so, he's not worth loving...