Thread: Timing
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
kinzoku

Timing

Two years ago, roughly, was my first post on this site. Those years have flown by fast. My first thoughts of quitting came around then. I thought that quitting drinking was poor timing then. First because I was taking law school tests, then because I was leaving to live and work abroad. I was both right and wrong. The reason why my first two attempts to quit failed wasn't because of when I decided to quit, but because the other events took a much larger priority in my life and when I let sobriety became a side issue, it was easier to let things slip.

This happened time and time again over the last two years.

Once more I stand at another crucial moment in my fledgeling adult life, and I can't make the circumstances any less important or difficult to deal with. What I can do is make my sobriety a priority despite these things. If that means making new friends or any number of things while moving and working in a new environment are more difficult, I have to accept that as a challenge that is necessary.

Letting things slip would be all too easy, and its all too easy to be complacent while I'm comfortable here in an old environment. Soon I will be in a world full or new stressors and opportunities where drinking is encouraged. My resolve must remain strong. More important than anything right now, is my sobriety.

I felt a lot more confident at the beginning of that post than by now. But no-one said this was going to be easy.