Old 03-29-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Endgame there will be a 3rd series of The Bridge later this year thank goodness.

I am love with Saga Noren (Sofia Helin). If I'm ever arrestep let it be by her.

Agree with what you said but in defence of USA you did make The Sopranos, The Wire, Homicide Life on the Street all of which I enjoyed. I suppose none of those are recent though.

PS another good Euro cop show is a Belgian series called Salamander - not quite as good as the Nordics but very nearly as good
True. I loved The Wire. Homicide was pretty good too. I'm one of a few people who never got into The Sopranos. Also happy to hear that there will be a third series of The Bridge. At the end of Series 2, there was talk that no additional series would happen.

Long before I discovered Europe, I couldn't watch any of the Law and Order franchises or CSI, or Criminal Minds, or anything that resembled them, though I did like Dexter, which is very different from the ones I've listed. (My secret specialty is serial killers.) The formula for shows like Law and Order, though it seemed to draw in viewers, became much too pat. Someone finds a corpse, the person they want you to think committed the murder didn't do it, and they stumble upon clue after clue all along the way ("Oh look! There's the murder weapon!"), every once in awhile throwing in a superficial moral dilemma.

I'm now forever spoiled. My favorite author for the genre is Jo Nesbø, a Norwegian, and his Harry Hole series. Harry is a sometimes active sometimes recovering alcoholic with an extremely jaded view of people and life in general. Clichè? Maybe, but not in the hands of such a skilled writer. Another good book that I finished a couple of months ago is The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.