Old 03-29-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
nymets86

kkik5,
I can relate with quite a bit of what you've said here and in other posts I saw from you. I know you were seeking other lawyers/people in law school in other threads as well as younger people. I'm 29, so maybe don't completely fit the bill as I'm 4 years older and I work in finance, not law, and am getting a graduate degree in that field (again not law), but I consider myself to be someone that works a lot with my mind.

Anyway, the thought of "forever" is truly challenging, maybe moreso to a single person in his/her 20s vs someone older with a spouse and kids, I do think it's still valuable advice. All the older people on here drank in their 20s and beyond and can at least attest to the fact that you simply don't grow out of alcoholism. It may change it's form away from the bar/party scene and you may need to try to hide it from your kids/spouse, but my hope that finding a spouse and having a family will cure my alcoholism since I'll be accountable to them has been set straight by those on here that have shown I'd just become a different type of alcoholic. That's why I'm on Day 39 and trying to quit forever.

I'm trying to use my relative youth to my advantage. I haven't YET suffered any health consequences related to my alcohol binges (not a daily drinker), BUT I have been hospitalized for being passed out drunk in places I shouldn't have been. I've not had a DUI YET, BUT that's more attributed to the fact that I live in a big city and don't have the need to own a car. I haven't lost my job YET or suffered any real consequences of my drinking at work, BUT my ability to fight through hangovers and get in on time cannot last forever.

Great job on 29 Days! I think you are doing the right thing by coming on SR and typing out your thoughts. Thinking about sobriety every day has made it easier for me to stay sober. When I got one month last summer, I wasn't active on here for the final two weeks and wasn't really thinking much about sobriety, so when the opportunity came up to drink during the USA/Belgium World Cup game, I went for it. Successfully moderated and then was pretty good all summer, but then things spiraled out of control again with blackouts and general debauchery.

Saying "forever" to never drinking again is hard. But I think you'd agree that saying "forever" to never having to spend a day in bed hungover isn't too hard. Or checking your outgoing texts, phone calls and social media pages for stupid stuff.

Stay strong. Good job on 29 days.