View Single Post
Old 03-27-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MIRecovery
A Day at a Time

How little I know

I recently wrote, "Whoever maintains a lifetime of abstinence, is relatively content with their life, and dies sober can say with certainty their method of recovery works."

I have been thinking about this lately. There are numerous members on this site that have put together significant sobriety with significantly different approaches.

There are endless debates but the truth is we only know if what we did works when we die sober.

I thought I was solidly sober until my daughter was diagnosed with cancer and six months later she was dead. Her death rocked my sobriety and world like nothing you can imagine.

What her death made me realize is how little I know about this sobriety stuff because I know so little about myself.

I received a tremendous amount of information from people I respect but have chosen a path different than mine.

I don't ever plan on drinking again but the operative word is "Plan." How can I guarantee anything when I simply don't know what the future holds.

This uncertainty is what opens my heart and mind to all manner of recovery. My criteria for recovery methods is that it has worked for an individual for an extended period of time. There is absolutely no substitute for time because life throws an amazing number of things at us that threatens our sobriety. To hear how other have made it through these challenges is invaluable.

If there is one thing I have learned over the years is to stick with the winners regardless of how they got from point A to B