Thread: Harm Reduction
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
buttercup89

My husband is a recovering heroin addict. Would I keep narcan in my home if he went back out, no. I’ve thought about this and even if I hung around a bit to watch I know 100 percent I cannot save him. I cannot give him any will to live. He must want to live because he just does. He knows the risks of using heroin. He also is well aware of the benefits of not using heroin. I can’t even imagine anyone not knowing heroin’s truth. Heroin has always proved it can and does take the lives of those who venture in.
That paragraph just shocked me. I assume if he relapsed and overdosed you would (hopefully) call the police/ambulance and hope he makes it, but you wouldn't keep narcan in the house that could save him in the worst case scenario? I really, write this with full respect, but i simply cannot understand it. Like it's his own fault, so i'm not gonna help him? that seems very cruel to me. I kind of understand the not enabling, but risking someone's life just to not enable him? I cannot understand that.

Again, i don't mean that in an offending way. I just cannot understand it.