View Single Post
Old 03-24-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
thequest

Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
Brigzy,
I'm so sorry for what has brought you here. I know you and your son have got to be hurt.
I think you need to talk to a lawyer....ASAP. I'm concerned with your responsibility in all this mess. You stated that he forged your name on documents for the new truck so are you going to be expected to pay for it? Personally, I would not want him driving a vehicle that was in my name. If he is nodding off, it seems like it is only a matter of time until he will be in or cause a serious accident.
No matter how well intended the gesture definitely get those vehicles out of your name. If you want to pay for them that's one thing including enabling but owning the vehicle is another. Letting a known alkie drive them is liability in itself.

It's tough when people think they are letting a known alkie or addict "borrow" their vehicle for good reasons because convincing them not to loan it is a project. Especially if they don't know for sure the person already had a dui or doesn't have a diagnosed problem. You literally have to spell it out for them.

Alkies/addicts look at "borrowing" money like borrowing a pen. There's a good chance you won't get it back. The problem is the alkie/addict can look at 10s of thousands of dollars as a pen. It's just a thing or tool to them. Same for a car. They look at it like they just borrowed a screw driver, a tool. The car is nothing but a tool to transport them around for what ever.

If one feels they must get a vehicle for an alkie/addict make sure it goes into their name. Paying for it is one thing. Owning it is another ie a huge liability. And if the alkie is caught lying or forging a document that is proof and reason enough to cut off all aid. Their are probably some sober character issues as well.