Thread: Harm Reduction
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
BlueChair

Hi SeekingGrowth,

I appreciate the articles you share on SR, they make me think and question things. I had to think on this a while before responding.

Ive seen a couple articles published recently and they talk about the various ways addiction is handled in other countries. I feel like the United States has made a lot of errors because until recently addiction hasnt been viewed as a medical/psychological, behavioral issue. I dont think we are in a place to ignore the successful ideas and programs implemented by other nations, and a lot of these are based on harm reduction.

When you mentioned enabling it made me think, a lot of people feel the only option is to try to force people to a rock bottom where they will come crawling, completely defeated, demoralized and willing to accept whatever help is available. This would mean clinics that offered to aid an addicted person with safe injections, clean needles would be creating an environment where using would be seen as safer and more appealing ? Or somehow represent a sign drug used is acceptable and therefore more appealing? My thought is, the person would still be suffering many other negative consequences due to the addiction so this wouldnt alleviate those problems.

In other countries these models have shown to prevent overdose, reduce blood transmitted disease, encourage reduction of use, and acceptance of available counseling and treatments.

I dont think most people want to be addicted. I think they dont know how to stop, and cant cope with the pain comes along with making major life changes.

In the Community Reinforcement Approach it DOESNT talk about this type of situation, but it does emphasize how negative consequences paired with positive incentives create the best atmosphere for change to occur. I think this may be why many of these programs work. People with addiction often feel very horrible about themselves, society often views addiction as a failure of the person, something coming from weak willpower, or other negative personal characteristics. How can you not feel bad about yourself when these are the thoughts going through your mind? So when they are shown respect, and offered positive solutions I think it often motivates a change. I guess I would ask if they offer medications, counseling, and other support services? If they did then I can see how a transition could come about gradually and it would be reducing the harmful effects prior to this.

One problem I think is the views held in the United States have developed over decades of misinformation and its ingrained into societies ideas now. With relapse you see clearly the idea of abstinence only. One slip up and tough love kicks in, and the idea of enabling, and rock bottom arise because obviously the person didnt want recovery bad enough and needs harsher consequences. The idea of their being a place they could go to use without consequences of being arrested, would require a totally different understanding of addiction. .