Old 03-22-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
vaya

Vivitrol& sober living option?AS leaving detox Tues

AS getting out of detox in a few days. Doesn't want treatment. Is considering Vivitrol per the detox recommendation. Can't make him go to treatment, even if I withhold sober living. he told me he'd figure it out himself somehow.
do feel a little threatened. told him nothing definite for sober living now anyway. many want at least 30 days sober.
Am considering vivitrol+sober living at least for a month. He'll have to go to meetings, get a sponsor per the sober living and I'll insist on continuing his mental health visits.

I could put my foot down and he'll be right back where he was before detox, but not at my house. Maybe it's guilt or idk what, but I feel I want to give this 1 last chance at helping him. if he blows it, at least I know I did all I could and he'll have to figure it out.

Vivitrol could have disastrous consequences if someone uses. Would that be enough of a deterrent or would he use anyway and possibly be gone forever? Maybe it would help him to focus on working and rebuilding. Two centers have recommended it.

Vivitrol can cause depression, which he has and is being treated for.

He has done 4 months of rehab recently, although it only lasted 2 months at each place, once with a discharge for drugs. He's been to rehab countless times and it never helped. he resents the loss of freedom. This last one locked him down for 2 months. Sober living will provide a structured environment where he'll have to work, work a program, stay clean and have no excuses and no one to blame but himself.

The center can find him a rehab, but they can't make him go either. They will also help find a sober living if that's what he wants. I know of one that's a little more, but under $1000, and has a good reputation. They're not about money like so many others and the manager comes highly recommended.

I may go for that if nothing else materializes. I'll know more tomorrow after I call and see if there is an opening or not.
Trying to get him to wait in rehab until an opening...but if facility finds him a sober living that will take him....I just have to decide how much I'm willing to pay.

Does anyone know anything about Vivitrol and it's effectiveness and whether the benefits outweigh the risk?

Am torn...