Thread: 5000 posts
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DG0409

5000 posts

I just noticed that this will be my 5,000th post here on SR. It's certainly less that many people here, but I think it does show how I've been pretty active here on SR.

I don't come here that often anymore, but in the early days, this place was a life-saver for me. If you're struggling, I want to say, 'Post, post and post.' There is bound to be other people here to understand what you are going through and the support and suggestions are invaluable. It's something you can do to be really active in your sobriety and I think we're much more likely to be successful when we actively participate in our recovery. And sometimes just 'getting out' whatever we're feeling can help.

Along those same lines, I want to suggest reading as much as possible around here. One thing that I found helpful was sometimes checking out different ones of the sub-forums or threads here than the ones I normally visited. I could often find a different take on things that was really helpful.

Other than that, I just thought I would check-in as it's been a while since I've made a post. Things are going really well for me. I'm looking forward to two years without alcohol and the two year anniversary of when I joined SR on April 9. I have a bit over 20 months without weed and I'm coming up on 27 months without cigarettes.

Life feels calm and peaceful for me. I don't put as much time into my recovery anymore, but I do take time each morning to record how many days I have sober, make a gratitude list, plan my day out a bit, and read a couple of recovery books with daily readings. I'll occasionally hit an AA meeting or stop by SR and read a little. I don't want to take recovery for granted but on the flip side, to me, recovery is about getting out there and living a 'normal' life. (That may not be the best way to put that, but I hope my intent comes through.)

I continue to see progress in my life. It doesn't come on it's own: I work towards my goals on a constant basis. But I see the rewards for my efforts and that is really nice. Things really do just keep getting better.