Thread: Failed BigPlans
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
eternalLiberty

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
The gist of RR/AVRT , as far as I understand it, is that the beast or AV is a hijacked portion of the mid/lizard 'brain', that part of us hardwired to respond to urges for survival/evolutionary purposes. That part that utilises urges to indicate action, in addiction the doc and the urge to experience intoxication is somewhat supplanted into or combines with the midbrain and becomes mistaken for a survival need. It would seem that sexual urges are pre-hardwired in that 'system' naturally or normally.
Behavioural changes to deal with obssessive complusive tendencies , curbing of sexual addictions, sexual urges or behaviour beyond healthy normal levels, seems like something an AVRT approach could help with, but I am not sure if the same methodology would be fruitful in ending an urge that is considered 'normal' or hardwired.
It seems to me that would need to come from a cultural/religious/philosophic realm.
Hi dwtbd,

I just can related this sentence to my AV, and apply addiction diction: "but IT IS not sure if the same methodology would be fruitful in ending an urge that IT considers 'normal' or hardwired."
I mean if that was the case, why is there so many people that are celibates no matter what urge they have?

Another thought is "ending an urge". When quitting drinking, AVRT has not the purpose of ending urges, that is pure AV, because if we do not end them then we must drink, drug, sex, etc.

And AVRT has chapters about ending any form of sexual error forever, if this is agains our own better judgement.

The problem here is that even if you say to someone who wants to get drunk forever, that others can use AVRT to end this addiction, he will answer in the same way, considering it "normal" to drink, but it is not normal for those who know it isnt. Dont forget it that drinking water is also "wired" in our brains, but it doesnt mean you have to drink alchool or drugs. For me the same with sex outside of marriage.

For example, i dont know what is your belief in having any kind of sex outside marriage, that is not of my concern. But suppose your belief is that there is no problem with that, what would the beast say if you decided to quit any form of sex outside of marriage? See there, it just screamed.