Thread: Failed BigPlans
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Aellyce

Originally Posted by eternalLiberty View Post
haennie, thank you for you comment.
I believe that it takes some work for someone to separate themselfs from the addictive desires and understand how to recognize them, letting them go. But once you get well trained in it you will go fine. In the begining you might need some efford to understand the art of recognition, but once you get it its effortless. Thats becausa im here, i need to get it, and i know that i only will get it until i dont do it anymore based on a Big Plan and avrt.
Well, try it that way, see what happens. For me, the eating issue had become effortless and completely a non-issue after a while, but it took a couple years to stabilize. Can't say that my alcohol abstinence is effortless just yet even though I've developed a host of tools to aid it, far more than willpower alone. What I find sometimes is that I'm slipping into the kind of thought processes and behaviors that typically accompanied my drinking in the past, and I've learned to recognize these pretty well (I guess we could call this a form of AVRT even though it's not about drinking urges directly at this point?). Then I do something about these resurfacing patterns -- change things in my routine, seek extra help or a new form of it, etc. It's been working well for me so far but it's far from effortless just now (after ~14 months). I'm quite convinced that if I did not do these actions to target the old patterns I slip into every now and then, some impulses might just lead me back to picking up a drink. Good luck to you with your journey and do consider getting extra help to process it