View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
LBrain

some do, some don't - make a list of their past...

In the rehabs - most are 12 step based - your counselor will hand you a step 1 homework assignment. Along with the usual "things I did" or "regrets" is the "how much did my drinking cost monetarily" section. That section alone was quite a wake up call for many. To think I could have paid off my house and had a vacation home and much more... The list means different things to different people. If you feel it may bring you down, don't do it. If you think it will solidify you resolve to stay sober, by all means, create a list.

There are various samples of a step 1 worksheet available on the web for free.
It is your choice to do one. I think many people over time tend to forget how bad things were or what brought them here in the first place. If you find yourself thinking that you are well enough to drink again, that is when the 'list' comes in handy. Or as others like to say, "Play the tape all the way through." Of course that is if you are old enough to know what 'tape' is. You actually don't have to keep the list. You can make a list and hold a ceremony to burn the list so that it is gone forever.

The important thing is to be able to recognize when your thoughts are leading you back to drinking. They are subtle at first, so beware.

Something my wife wanted to get for me was a "Relapse Prevention Workbook". That may be something to consider as well.

It is entirely up to you.