Thread: Facing Reality
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
chordcowboy

Originally Posted by betterthiings View Post

But the truth is that almost every day I drink at lunch and almost every night I drink a bottle of wine and about half a bottle of Armagnac. And just about every second week I have at least one serious binge, that usually commences with a boozy lunch and ends with some memory loss.

Hi betterthiings and welcome.

I am very new here too but not new to trying to change my drinking. I read your quote above. We get used to drinking large quantities as normal, don't we? But the truth is that your daily intake is actually a serious binge - let alone your fortnightly blowout!

The great news about this is that, after a while, the extent to which you could feel better in your daily life is almost unlimited - given time.

I used to work in a sphere where it was common to have boozy lunches and nights with clients. It has only been since I started to drastically cut down my own drinking that I realised how much more boozy my client lunches were than those of my colleagues. I thought everyone was the same but it turned out to be a bit of an observer's paradox.

Anyway, great that you are here. I have decided to stop after a long taper. The contrast between sober periods and 'sessions' is now so marked that is a no brainer for me. Doesn't mean I won't stuff up but right now I am accepting of the fact that I am not a slow glass of wine kind of a chap either - except in my most airbrushed fantasies! :-)

Best of luck to you, sir, from someone else just getting out of the blocks.

Chordcowboy