Thread: Facing Reality
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
betterthiings

Facing Reality

I am in my early 40s and have been a heavy drinker since I was 18.

Alcoholism hasn't stopped me getting three university degrees and having a successful career as a senior partner in a professional services firm. But it is slowly killing me I think.

The ability to function while hungover has allowed me to hide from the truth for a very, very long time. But the truth is that almost every day I drink at lunch and almost every night I drink a bottle of wine and about half a bottle of Armagnac. And just about every second week I have at least one serious binge, that usually commences with a boozy lunch and ends with some memory loss.

Almost every morning I wake feeling very sick from a hangover and take codeine and pseudoephedrine to "manage" the symptoms and allow me to function.

I first admitted to myself that I had a serious problem around 6 years ago, after I was admitted to hospital after drinking myself senseless at a work Christmas party. I managed my drinking much better for a while, but it is out of control again now.

I joined these forums in 2012 when things were spiraling out of control again on the booze (and at that time marijuana) front, and again I tidied up for a while.

I have a wonderful wife and gorgeous kids and it is long past time I grew up and kicked my addiction to alcohol. Having a cellar with a few thousand bottles of very expensive Italian and French wine doesn't help, but I'm not sure I'm cut out to be that civilized chap who can enjoy a glass over dinner and leave it at that.

Anyway, this time I've decided to emerge from the shadows and share my journey publicly (albeit anonymously), to encourage me and make me feel a sense of accountability. Thanks in advance for the support and I'll let you know how I go. Hoping this post will be a turning point I can look back on and that I never have another hangover.