Old 03-17-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ReadyAtLast

Welcome to SR.

You can't stop your husband drinking. No matter what you say or do. Only he can stop drinking and if he doesn't think he has a problem or doesn't want to stop then he isn't going to stop no matter how much you beg, threaten or anything, The only thing you can do is decide how much you are prepared to put up with and live the rest of your life like this.

Although it's me that has the problem I can relate to the whole soulmate, complete, full on never apart intensity. since getting sober I realise that I was only like this due to my own insecurities and fears and looking to another person to 'complete' me. Since I got sober I've learned that the only person who can help me is me. No other person can 'complete' me. Only now am I ready for a relationship that is on decent terms and not one where I am desperate for someone to complete me and make me whole.

I hope this doesn't sound preachy I just know how easy it is to waste time on re-living those perfect early days when everything just falls into place and seems so perfect. If only we could get back to that point everything would be ok again? It won't.

at the end of the day the only thing you have control of is yourself and what you are prepared to put up with. As you only recently married him he will see that you are prepared to put up with everything that he has done before and cycles that repeat themselves. Nothing will change if YOU don't change it. He doesn't need to change because he knows you will be there for him and put up with this. only you can decide how much of your life you are going to spend taking second place to alcohol.

I agree the F&F forum would be really helpful for you.