View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

Originally Posted by Verte View Post
How is your day going today, EndGame? How about your Monday, how was that as well?

Hi Verte.

Thanks again for your continuing support. And thank all of you for your thoughts and your support. It makes a difference.

Mary Ann is holding up fairly well.

She has appointments with a radiologist and with someone who specializes in chemotherapy (I think) on Friday. I generally don't work on Fridays, so I'll be able to go with her.

She's been driving doctor-approved short distances since the weekend. She's been going stir crazy at home, and it's probably a good thing that she can get around on her own, though I went with her on the weekend.

She's concerned about her job, but not excessively so. She's preparing herself emotionally and in other ways should her treatment prevent her from returning as quickly as they may want her to. Her supervisor is a good and brilliant man who's formed a strong emotional attachment with my sister, and who would do anything for her. His supervisor, the CEO, is a high-achievement and business-first woman who, despite being thrilled with my sister's work, always refers to the bottom line when making decisions. So there's that.

As for me, I've been staying with her for the time being, and I'm leaning towards staying with her for the long-term, depending on what we learn this week and next about her treatment. My family and I are grateful that I'm able to be here for her. It would be very difficult for my siblings to spend a great deal of time with her, and impossible for my aging mother to do so.

I get anxious when I leave for work each day, but I've got her trained to call me if she needs me to come home or to pick up anything she might need while I'm out. I've been down this path before with other people in my life, so I'm not surprised that I'm able to focus very well at work, more than it seems is routine for me. I also continue to work out at the dojo a few times a week, which has become one of my safe places, and where I can again focus in the moment while relieving stress.

Mary Ann's life has been turned upside down in a dramatic way, and both of our priorities have since changed. I don't feel burdened or put out, and my only concern is that she get well. We've always talked a lot, so it's not a chore for us to discuss painful matters or to help each other laugh.

Life is once again and truly one day at a time.

Thanks again.