View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
GardenMama

I am glad your son got caught and is now in detox, TwoFour. He will have some help and you can get some rest.

I hope you don't mind me jumping in on your question to JJ's mom--my daughter's first overdose was in our home when she was 18. She spent 5 weeks in the hospital and came back home to recover for two months. Many times since I have let her come home, before rehabs, after roaming the country in active addiction (because she said she wanted to go to treatment), and most recently for 4 months while she remains in active recovery, working a program. It was hard every time! I am not sure I can recommend it, with hindsight, but every time seemed like it was the best thing to do for her. It was not the best thing for the rest of us. I can say now that I won't be allowing her to stay here again. In fact, we are turning her bedroom into a tv room this week.

My story here was just to say, you will figure it out in due time. Putting my youngest daughter at the forefront in these situations was essential, and eventually I learned that my husband and I should count for something, after all. My daughter has found many & better housing resources as a result of being told she had to leave our home on Feb 1. All of us parents of addicts have to decide what we (think) we can handle in any given situation with our children as their disease progresses. There's no easy answer.