View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Verte
pray for strength

Hi EndGame,

I must apologize and clarify because at the time (over a decade ago) I read When Bad Things Happen to Good People I recall strongly wishing to have an audience with the Rabbi himself so I could speak my mind. The content so enraged me that I threw it 20 feet across a room where it hit the wall with such force that a permanent red streak was left on the white wall - a memento to 'losing it'. The book has been a perennial bestseller forever and has touched many but for me it just made a great fly swatter and drink coaster. Perhaps I will revisit and see what is what.

My favorite reading/books for all the seasons, experiences of life have been those from Pema Chödrön as well as Thich Nhat Hanh. Not much else was able to soothe my soul regarding the more painful aspects of the human condition.

You and family are in my thoughts. Unanticipated yet amazing growth is ahead. My unsolicited advice for Mary Ann:

1) buy a nice comfortable pair of shitkickers for heading to appointments, procedures, tests or pull a pair out the closet.

2) Ski socks. Warm knee length ski socks for any appointments requiring a Hospital gown.

3) Ear covering headphones for when she needs to remain in the privacy/sanctuary of her own thoughts while waiting amongst other patients and families.

4) lip balm always.

5) well-meaning, unsolicited advice can often aggravate. A good tactic is to hold up one's hand and say "Thank you so much but my suggestion box is full."