Thread: Need to vent
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lizatola

Need to vent

My X(what do I call him now: STBXAH??) has not had our son over for a night once since I moved out a month ago. I think our son has been over there for about 3 hours one afternoon and all their other time together has circled around X picking him up here at my house, taking him to a tennis lesson, then going out to Chipotle (they haven't gone anywhere else nor has X cooked for him), and then son getting dropped back off here with me.

There was the one time when X had both our son and the dog and he chose to have the dog spend the night but not our son.

Anyhoo, I'm not sure what I'm venting about but I think my mama bear in me kicks in and I wonder if our son feels abandonment or rejected by his dad? I haven't really probed things with our son too much yet as I was trying to let him get adjusted to just being out and us being on our own but now that a month has passed I might start touching on it.

Also, I noticed that the only communication our son gets from X is text messages, never a phone call. I know that their relationship is their business and since we're in this limbo phase before the divorce is final, there really isn't a parenting plan in place. Honestly, though, we both have acknowledged that the parenting plan will be a moot point to some degree due to our son's hectic tennis and travel schedule and X's work travel and that we'll just have to work together.

I keep wondering if I should step in? Or should I just leave it be? Should I communicate with my son about this and just remind him that I'm here for him (which he probably already knows) and that I won't get in the way of him having a relationship with his father?

I feel like I'm floundering a bit because this is all so new to me. I don't want to step into anyone else's hula hoop but I also want to make sure I'm not slacking off when I need to step up and be an advocate. Does that make sense? Thoughts?