Old 03-06-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
NikTes

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
So...why not reward a good presentation with a drink, and isn't an occasional drink part of a successful, well-managed life? I was repulsed at the though of going back to a drunk, out of control life. Drinking just seemed like it belonged.

There was some contemplation prior to picking up, and I will always believe it was a conscious decision.
Hey jazz, thanks for posting about this. I've been wondering how I'll handle the desire for an occasional drink too. My next biggest hurdle in this quit process will be the next time I have to give a presentation -- two weeks from now. I can hear the AV chattering already, as it tries to rationalize a decision to drink again... just for that night. (Yeah, right.) (I used alcohol to ease performance anxiety.) I guess the key, for me, at this point, is to tally up all the negatives of picking up that first glass of wine. What's the phrase people use here? Play the film until it ends? It never ends well for me, even if I get through the presentation (relatively) unscathed. I just can't let that first glass be an option. I have to remember that it hurts more than helps. That's one tactic... Hope this helps!