View Single Post
Old 03-05-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
nymets86

Originally Posted by Cohiba View Post
@nymets86 the reason why is I actually enjoy the taste of beer, I don't always drink beer to get drunk I actually enjoy the taste, and also I think it would just help me to think about it less when I am out say like this Friday when at my friends house playing the PS4 everyone will be having a couple I think if I had non alcoholic beers it would help me think about drinking less...sounds odd not sure if that makes sense?
I really like the taste of craft beers too, but I think I've used that often as a guise for drinking more....."Ohhhh, I haven't tried THIS one yet, I'll have another one!" Then still not drunk enough, I'll pull the same stunt and order something else.

I've not had NA beer, but my guess is it tastes like Bud Light or Michelob Ultra, which suck. That's sort of what I was basing my comment on. It just sort of seems like I'd be teasing myself and opening up a can of worms that I don't want to. The moderation thing isn't working for me, so I'm trying to make club soda a habit as it is readily available at every bar/restaurant/etc and I know I like the way it tastes.

I know you are dealing with two substances, so maybe alcohol really isn't the one you are battling and it is just the coke. If that's true, then maybe you can successfully moderate and get away with NA beer and going back to drinking reasonably. It does seem like playing with fire though.

For myself, I used to smoke pot heavily and now smoke once in awhile. I don't have a problem with it and can enjoy it responsibly. I wish that was how I was with booze, but it's not. For the time being, I'm steering clear of pot all together since it kind of goes hand in hand with drinking and I've done them together on countless occasions. I don't have any fears in the future of never smoking again, but I do with booze. Proves to me that booze is the real addiction. It seems to me, however, that you are struggling with the decision of NA beer, and if that's something that could lead down the road to getting drunk and coked up, then why risk it?