View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nathantas

Newbie here, day 3 of recovery

G'day everyone,

I'm on day three of recovery, so far so good.

To give you a little bit of history, I'm 30 years old, I've pretty much always known that I drank way more than everyone else and would always over do it.

The last 2.5 years (after about 9 years of drinking every night) escalated to drinking in the morning, drinking during lunch and basically any chance I could, including at work - just to fight off alcohol withdrawal.

I've been hospitalised 30 times for Alcohol withdrawal / dependence, often I've lost my mind completely during a black out and gone suicidal. Waking up in the back of a police car covered in my own blood not knowing what's going on.

This is attempt number 4 for me, attempt one was a home detox using diazepam, of which I ended up abusing and getting addicted to. I quit that thankfully.

Attempt number two was in hospital, I was in there for 5 days, got out and lasted 7 days without drinking.

Number three was in a detox centre. 7 days inside and two weeks outside I was alcohol free. Failed with the typical friend coming around offering a beer, that one beer turned into a week of drinking.

So this is number 4. This one has to be it, I know I need to get rid of any alcoholic friends and associates out of my life, the ones that tempt you daily to have a drink and also fix the underlying issue of why I was drinking, anxiety.

I'm doing it without Benzo's for the simple fact that I've been addicted, I'm already past the night sweat / confusion stage, my memory is a bit scratchy still and stomach cramps are annoying. I've had a seizure in the past, however given that I'm on day 3 I suspect I'm out of that danger zone already.

Any helpful advice would be awesome gals and guys!