View Single Post
Old 03-01-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
samseb5351

Alcoholics helping Alcoholics??

I had mentioned the idea on another thread, that it might be worthwhile thinking about or challenging the deep belief amongst many addicts/alcoholics that only other addicts/alcoholics really know how to help, and secondary to that idea is that those who are not an addict (offering support or expertise) should be treated kind of like second class helpers and in some cases dismissed as non-experiential intruders on sacred ground.
I, like most up until recently never really questioned the immense value that one who has "been there, done that" living a sober life can help another, and the subtle idea that this kind of help almost always Trumps other kinds of help, BUT on a Podcast "Point of Inquiry" on Feb 2nd an episode called "Letting Go of the Soul" Dr Julien Musolino was interviewed and he presented the idea that this Sacred Attachment humans have to the experiential maybe more a myth than a reality.
When you think about examples of the experiential, stories you may sometimes hear in Recovery Groups like the one About the two people, One man who learns all this is to know about Oranges, the make up of the orange, its chemistry, where its grown, its history as food source and so on... AND the man who eats the orange, and then We are posed the Question "who knows more about the Orange?" Almost intuitively we say the man who eats the orange, My question is Why?

My main point of discussion really isn't that we can't help one another its more that Secondary dismissiveness we develop that other non addicts cant help, and how possibly we block off decent chances of Scientific answers to problems of addiction because of this. I would love to hear others perspective on this.....

Thanks