View Single Post
Old 02-26-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
hopeful4

I was in a similar situation with my XAH. He would drink and hide it. I could normally always tell when he was drinking, which was an evil cycle. Ultimately Alanon would help her as it would help her deal with the reality that he may relapse, and what to do if that happens. How to help herself deal with that. One on one counseling would likely help. Does his rehab offer any sort of family counseling? Many do, it would be good if she goes.

Ultimately, you are right. He may relapse, he may not. It's finding a way to see if you can deal with that reality, or not.

Hugs and best wishes to you and your family!

Originally Posted by gatorfan3 View Post
My father will be returning from rehab in another month (he is in for 60 day rehab).

Before rehab my father would drink in secret by stopping at liquor stores and drinking either in the car or taking it with him on walks. Needless to say there is a lot of paranoia whenever he is by himself that he will go off drinking again.

How does this work after rehab? Do you find yourself looking for signs they have been drinking again after they are alone? I would like my mother to have some peace that he won't relapse but of course there are no guarantees.

thanks in advance