Old 02-24-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
BlueChair

I spent weeks on mapping initially. I went through and did my best to map out the process that led to his relapse, drilling down and looking at behaviors, and then I began matching it up to what we had been discussing in our family sessions when he would talk about how he saw it playing out. This part was insightful for me initially. I also informed my individual counselor I was doing this and she helped me to some degree.

Hes not been using drugs since his treatment, but I have been using mapping in relation to the anxiety attacks and other behaviors that have been identified as precursors to relapse in his particular case. (Relapse starts prior to a substance being used according to his addiction doc).

I can now see the signs of anxiety or other emotions building up through physical and behavioral cues, as well as things he voices to me. It works well with the traffic light analogy. Ive used mapping and figured out ways to offer a more positive path, instead of heading down the well traveled road where he falls into old familiar patterns, and it works. Example, when he was having a pity party and started emotional drinking. he stopped and tossed it out, and we altered the whole flow by finding a better solution for that moment.. I have examples like this where it was effective.

I will say, Mr Blue has also been learning how to cope better with the help of his dr, so I feel like its all fit together perfectly. His docs call us a team in his recovery and they encourage lots of communication and active support.