View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Lovenjoy
happy, joyous an free!

Originally Posted by INgal View Post
I just don't know how to speak to him sometimes
this really stuck out to me as i completely relate to this in regards to ras. what i did early on (good or bad) was i just stopped talking if all i could talk about was addiction/recovery. that was awkward!

i then started to apply a concept a dad here said to me - take addiction out of the equation. this didn't become workable for me until i became healthier in my own self care. wasn't much to talk about outside of addiction if i spent all my time obsessing about addiction!

recently i was questioning, in my thoughts, how i wasn't real happy with how ras was communicating with me. thinking he could be more loving, respectful, understanding, supportive, compassionate, etc. there's a saying that when you're pointing the finger you have 4 more pointing back at you. so now i find myself practicing the communication i would like from him in the ways i communicate to him. power of example maybe?

just some thoughts your post brought to mind. it is a fine line. as we hear over and over - taking care of ourselves, our own needs, and keeping ourselves in the mainstream of life really can help the process.

sending good thoughts to you and your son!