Old 02-20-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hawks

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
I'm not big on someone not in my head telling me what's in my head, particularly if he's never been an addict and doesn't know what he's talking about and thinks addiction is a disease like TB. But that's just me. (Note his article also keeps referring to AA)

Edit: Ah, that Dr. Silkworth. He founded the disease theory of alcoholism in AA, and wrote a section in the Big Book.
Well yeah, opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one.

However the doctors and scientists that study and work with alcoholism are pretty up front about what they think.

The modern disease theory of alcoholism states that problem drinking is sometimes caused by a disease of the brain, characterized by altered brain structure and function. The American Medical Association (AMA) had declared that alcoholism was an illness in 1956. In 1991, The AMA further endorsed the dual classification of alcoholism by the International Classification of Diseases under both psychiatric and medical sections.

Unfortunately your opinion counts for very little Jeffrey

It's a bit like the climate change deniers........ Doesn't matter what the scientific community says, or what the evidence leads....... they cling dogmatic like to their unsubstantiated opinions.