View Single Post
Old 02-14-2015, 11:59 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  
ReadyAtLast

I saw my brother yesterday for the first time in 3 years. We were just casually chatting and he said he'd cut down drinking, didn't drink as much as he used to ( you really can hear the self justification and trying to convince oneself- not a criticism btw just awareness)

Anyway then, which seemed relevant to the conversation, I said I don't drink anymore. He said "what nothing?" I said no, haven't had a drink since 2012 ( yes it sounds like 3 years ish so slight exaggeration but 2012 not untrue)

Do you know what his first comment was? "Oh we'll have to change that tonight then! " and laughed nervously. hahaha. I didn't take offence at all and stayed calm as I could see, from his original comment and his reaction to my sobriety is that he is concerned about his own drinking and my decision highlights his own position.

We used to drink a lot together. I didn't see him often but when we did it always involved drinking. Me giving up drinking would be unbelievable. It certainly changes the balance of things. I'm no longer the silly pissed little sister. I am a grown up, sober person who drinks water and bakes bread ...............and tells bad silly jokes