Thread: My Niece
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zoso77
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by needingabreak View Post
Zoso thank you for the update. As the parent of a RA, I agree completely with how you are handling things. You have let her know you are there for her and gave her a good book. Allowing them to figure it out for themselves is a good part of that process to recovery. Many make the mistake of trying to do it for them or help them too much. The odds are against recently sober or clean individuals of staying off so soon after rehab, especially when it is their first rodeo BUT it is possible for her to remain sober if she uses the tools she learned in rehab and reaches out when in need. I pray for her continued sobriety.
Thanks, NaB.

The book I recommended to her was It's So Easy (and Other Lies) by Duff McKagan, the former bassist of Guns N Roses. I picked it up when I was having issues with my then AGF, and it was a fascinating read.

He had acute pancreatitis as a result of his drinking, and he was told if he didn't stop, he'd die. So how did he stay sober? He took up mountain biking and then mixed martial arts. But what he also did, which I really respect him for, was go to college, and he's only a few credits shy of his BA in finance.

The reason why I recommended it to my niece was to show her that sobriety was possible, and this is how one guy did it when he committed to it. Obviously, I don't expect her to start doing MMA. What I wanted her to do, though, was think. What she does with that information, and how she processes it, is up to her.