View Single Post
Old 02-02-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  
courage2
p***enger

Hi folks,

I hope you all are well. This thread just keeps getting quieter. That's understandable. There are still times when I like to come here -- it's like whispering on SR.

Tomorrow I'll have 1 year, again. I've come a long way since Dec. 2012 but there's still my whole rest of my life to be led. The main thing I've learned is that I can't drink anymore. And that without help, I'm not likely to stay sober. But I can get help, if I'm just willing to ask for it.

I still carry around a lot of bad attitude towards existence in general. But there are some people I care about, and as long as I can appreciate their occasional companionship, I'll try to stay sober to be part of the same world as they're in.

I'm reasonably sure that if I start drinking again, it will become a serious problem (again) quite rapidly, and if it becomes a serious problem, it'll be seriously dangerous. I'm too old and know too many dead people to risk another round, that's all.

Quitting drinking was the best thing I've ever done for myself. I kind of wish I could have done it alone and without medication, but that's the way it is -- it's forced me to admit my weakness, which is only being human, which disagreeable as I am, I wanted to deny. But having to get sober among other people has taught me a lot.

Thank you all for being here.