Thread: My introduction
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

I hope you get some AA responses here Gabrielle cos I think you've either been given bad advice, or it's your own misunderstanding of step 4.

I'm not an AA person so I say this with the caveat that these are my beliefs.

Step 4 is step 4 of 12. It's not even half way. Noone should expect you to walk out of step 4 pearly white and perfect.

My own experience with resentments and forgiveness is tied in with my reading of The Shack by Wm Paul Young. I recommend you read it if you have not.

Forgiveness is not about forgetting. It's about letting go, taking around hands from someones neck, so we can move on.

It's about us - not them.

Drinking at someone never works. You've probably heard the aphorism - drinking from resentment is like taking poison and expectiung the other guy to die.

They won't die - but you might - figuratively if not literally.

So, now, I am choosing to drink on Wednesday because I no longer have the help and encouragement that I so desperately need.
If you drink again on wednesday - what will it solve? You'll have all of that, and drinking on top, and you'll probably end up in a worse place.

If you feel you've been let down and you lack help and encouragement, then find it.

Use AA or not. Use something else or not.

Just don't sit there, drinking.

Self pity and resentment will get you precisely nowhere - I know this because I went there many times.

There's been suggestions for actions above - and I firmly believe you'll always find all the help hope and encouragement you need here.

Don't let the AV convince you that you're all alone. That's just not true.

D