View Single Post
Old 01-29-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
samseb5351

Originally Posted by airwick View Post
Walk: When I hear/see the words "I will never change my mind", I always think of my mom when I was growing up. She used to always say that quote "Never say Never". In my case, I just take that quote and rephrase it. I say "Changing my mind is an option I will not allow myself to take". Basically the same thing, it just reinforces to me that the decision is mine. Over thinking results in unneeded confusion. Take one day at a time. I'm just doing what It takes for me to stay sober. Good-luck to you
Very good point your making here. I agree that most of the slow down, one day at a time language could be a reflection of being unwilling to commit and possibly a 'get out clause' for drinking again, but it also may be a reflection of simply not being able to envisage a life without drinking, some people especially as adults have not had a full responsible adult experience of sobriety, therefore they may not know what a sober life actually looks like. There are some people and I think Airwick is expressing this who would prefer the Non drinker decision to always remain in the now, projecting forward as if we a predicting the future can be as Airwick has explained an "unneeded confusion".
I do understand the idea that dancing around planned non drinker status is seen as a AV conspiracy, BUT to believe that you have to accept the dualism (or at least the narrative of dualism) that the AV exists as a pure representative of addiction, that we have lower and higher states in our being where success is coming from a authoritarian attitude that the higher can control the lower (most of the time but not always amongst RR proponents its represented as a "fight" then a "submission"). I personally see these separate clearly defined brain states very Skeptically.