View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DonnieB

quite comical, really

Jason Vale is right...people just are not comfortable when YOU quit drinking! I was at a family gathering recently, and the host insisted I have a shot of rum...in my coffee! He could not get his mind wrapped around the idea I chose to not indulge. Why would it bother him?
Then this weekend we are out visiting friends from the lake. Out comes a 40 (Canadian-ism) of rye- I quietly say no thanks and have a Coke Zero- then nobody else drinks! I could tell they were not at all comfortable??
I'm not sure if they are facing their own drinking patterns, or what! I have no problem quitting. I have not announced it to the world that I have an "issue" with booze. I just quietly decided to quit (and I am not changing my mind). Even my dear wife is not quite yet on board- thinking this too shall pass, I guess.
But- I marvel at the reaction of people to those of us who have placed a cork in it. What do they care? If one was struggling with shakes, DT's and some serious withdrawal concerns, I could understand.
But, the more I get out and about and observe their reactions to my very quietly saying "no thanks", the more I wonder...why?
Surely (don't call me Shirley) others have noticed this?