View Single Post
Old 01-24-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

What a crappy week!

I've barely been home for the past month or so, between work trips and visiting my kids and then my Dad in Phoenix. This week, I was gone for four days for a training in Spokane.

I get back from Phoenix last Monday (holiday) to find the sewer backing up into my basement. Those of you who have read my story might recall that the same thing happened my fourth day of sobriety, back in 2008. (Neighbor showed up at my door with a cold beer, which I refused--politely--and it was what I think of as my "spiritual experience.")

I had a backflow prevention valve installed so it wouldn't happen again, but this time the water was coming in AROUND the valve. And it was flooding all over my nice new flooring I'd installed down there. So I call the MUA and a plumber, and the MUA managed to stop it but the plumber wasn't able to do anything till the problem with the sewer was fixed. I had the water remediation guys come out, they cleaned everything and set up fans to dry it all out.

A friend came over on Friday to shut off the fans, but he noticed there was still some water and so he left them on. He checked the "problem valve" and it looked OK--no water coming in.

I get home from my trip this evening, and walk into a house that smells and feels like a swamp. It's happening AGAIN!! Sewer water gushing into my basement.

So the MUA is here again to clear the lines (which they didn't do completely, earlier this week), and I'm trying to get the cleanup guys to come out BEFORE the plumber comes on Tuesday to replace the valve. The place, frankly, stinks, and it's making me feel a little nauseous.

I am SOOOO aggravated. But still sober.

Thanks for listening to my vent. (Actually, a bit of venting is what this place needs right now!)