View Single Post
Old 01-24-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
lizatola

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Liz....I know that some lawyers make use of Certified Financial Planners to give advice in matters such as this.
I believe that you need a lawyer, at this point, and I would ask that a financial planner review all of the numbers.

dandylion
Thanks, everyone. I sent an email to my lawyer last night even though I know she was gone for the day. I explained everything to her and told her we might be looking at mediation instead. She had originally told me to NOT move out of the family home but also to NOT get a job. She is well aware of AH's alcoholism and antics.

As for the financial planner, I had called my CPA 2 weeks ago and told him the story and he is already looking at investment opportunities(he is a CFP, as well) for me and trying to help me out in various ways. We went over the numbers, as well.

I really appreciate all the feedback. It's very hard when you live in this to take a step back and look objectively at the situation. I think moving out without some sort of written documentation from him right now is a bad idea. I have a feeling I will be sticking it out a little longer here in the same house and just keep plugging along trying to mind my own business.

If I move out right now, I can use my savings (about 6 months of expenses) but then I'd have to cash in my retirement and I really don't want to do that right off the bat. Even if I find work, it will have to be part time until my son finishes sophomore year because he's not driving yet(failed his permit test twice) and he has math tutoring scheduled midday. Next school year I can change his tutoring times and arrange a more productive schedule if I'm working. For now, I'm stuck in the schedule we have going until the end of May when school lets out. I asked the principal of the school and they just don't have any flexibility here.