View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
lizatola

Originally Posted by MissFixit View Post
Honestly, what I would say to my real life sister or a friend, here goes:

1. Get a job. Any job. Just get some form of income flowing into your, not his budget.

2. Figure out how much you are realistically entitled to. And then get the lump sum. Do not count on him to make payments to you in the future.

3. Don't sweat your son's wedding just yet. Have a written plan about college. Since he has paid everything until now and makes more money than you, I would not eliminate him paying for college rather than you. However, he might not be amenable to that, so be prepared if your son plans to attend college and expects you two to help out. When your son turns 18, that dynamic will be between son and father, not you, so keep that in mind.

4. get your ducks lined up before you leave home, unless you are being emotionally or physically abused. In those cases, get the hell out.

PM me if you want.
After speaking with 2 lawyers before the holidays, they both told me to NOT get a job. UGH....so freaking confused. They both said that if I prove to a judge that I can work, handle the tennis schedule, and homeschool, that my AH would not have to pay as much in support and that I might get screwed in other ways.

As for college, my son has been offered a full ride to community college, provided we are still here in AZ. There are other variables, but I knew we would go this route since he is not academically motivated right now and has many learning disabilities.

I already know how much I am entitled to. I spelled it all out to him in an email, being as honest with the numbers as I could. The question is: when and if he is going to pay me anything and can I rely on him to do so at all?

I thought I did have my ducks in a row. My own child told me that it was about time I get out. We aren't being abused other than putting up with his ups and downs and depressions, listening to him rant about stupid stuff, etc right now. AH has been on his best behavior for the past few weeks which makes things easier. But, how long will that last?

You know....I am really getting discouraged right now. It's time I step off.