View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 06:23 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
osier59
No More Mrs. Nice Guy

Courage to Change ODAT in Al-Anon II 1/28

Newcomers are often surprised at the number of years long-time members have been attending Al Anon meetings. They may be even more surprised that some of us have sobriety in our homes, or no longer have any alcoholics in our lives. Why do we keep coming back? For many of us the answer is “serenity”.

Sometimes I get impatient, or rebellious, or bored. I go through periods where I see little change in myself, and I begin to doubt. But even after many years of Al Anon recovery, if I miss too many meetings, things seem to become unmanageable all over again. I have been affected by someone else’s drinking. I don’t want to underestimate the lasting impact that alcoholism has had on me. So I keep coming back.

I came to Al Anon for a quick fix for my pain, but I stay for the consistency, security and friendship I find each day. Because of my commitment to my own growth, I am able to handle very difficult situations with a great deal of peace, and the delight in my life continues to exceed my wildest dreams.

Today’s Reminder:

I see recovery as a healthy way of life that I can gladly share with others. Today I am actively pursuing a better life because I am working on myself.

“Just for today I will have a program. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it.” – Just for Today